Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Saltzman Says...Bochy must pick his own for the All-Star game
Bruce Bochy is a very smart baseball man. He knows what he's doing. He wouldn't make a decision without thinking it through.
1. Brian Wilson was selected by the players, so there was no Giant that had to be added to the All-Star roster.
2. Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain both were brilliant in the 2010 post season, which goes unrecognized by All-Star game selections.
3. Tommy Hanson of Atlanta, Kyle Lohse of St. Louis and Ian Kennedy of Arizona were all statistically better than all three Giants added by Bochy.
4. There are no rules saying a manager has the pick the most qualified for this exhibition game.
5. With the winner deciding home field advantage for the World Series, why wouldn't a manager wants his own guys?
Bottom line, not only does Bruce Bochy have every right to add Lincecum, Cain and Ryan Vogelsong to the All-Star game. Also, it is much better to make sure the best players on your own team are happy instead of the best players on other teams.