Danielle and I had an amazing, breathtaking week in Hawaii, and we are thinking of getting away again this summer.
1. We have been thinking about flying to the EAST COAST, and seeing New York, Boston, Washington D.C., etc., and renting a car to drive home. It seems crazy to take a road trip across the U.S. AND BACK, so we thought flying to the east coast and driving back made a lot of sense.
2. We think we will know enough people along the way to not have to stay in too many hotels on the way home. Ideally, it allows us to see some our good friends and family too. We will ideally visit Denver and Seattle, so we plan on driving along the Northern half of the country. We have been to Dallas together, and we can always try to see New Orleans and Miami another time.
So, Family and Friends... please comment back to me any advice you might have for ways to enjoy our time more, save money, and get the most out of our vacation idea.
Plans so Far:
- Fly on Monday, June 20, 2011 from San Jose, to Denver, to Boston for $520.80.
- a) Rent a Car (taxes makes it anywhere from $3000-$6000) b) Rent a U-Haul Van. Might be only $600. c) Buy a Used Car in Boston
- Monday, June 20, 2011 - stay with friends in Framingham, Boston.
- Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - visit Fenway Park and other Boston sites (stay 1 more night in Framingham.)
- Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - visit New York (Times Square, Broadway, Yankee Stadium, etc...)
- Thursday, June 23, 2011 - visit Cooperstown, NY. (Baseball Hall of Fame)
- Friday, June 24, 2011 - visit Washington D.C. (Lincoln Memorial, etc...)
- Saturday, June 25, 2011 - visit Washington D.C. (Holocaust Museum, monuments, etc...)
- Sunday, June 26, 2011 - stop in Pittsburgh at PNC Park vs Boston Red Sox?
- Monday, June 27, 2011 - visit Canton, OH. (Pro Football Hall of Fame)
- Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - visit South Bend, IN.? (Notre Dame Stadium)
- Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - visit Chicago, IL?
- Thursday, June 30, 2011 - visit Chicago for a Day game at Wrigley Field vs the Giants?
- Friday, July 1, 2011 - visit friends in Kansas City?
- Saturday, July 2, 2011 -visit friends in Wichita?
- Sunday, July 3, 2011 - visit friends in Denver
- Monday, July 4, 2011 - visit friends in Denver for 4th of July
- Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 - visit friends in Denver
- Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 - Salt Lake City, UT?
- Thursday, July 7th, 2011 - Yellowstone National Park?
- Friday, July 8th, 2011 - Boise, ID?
- Saturday, July 9th, 2011 - visit friends in Seattle, WA
- Sunday, July 10th, 2011 - visit friends in Seattle, WA
- Monday, July 11th, 2011 - visit Portland, OR?
- Tuesday, July 12th, 2011 - visit Ashland, OR?
- Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 - visit Sacramento, CA?
- Thursday, July 14th, 2011 - visit family in Stockton, CA?
- drive home on July 15th, 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- About 38 minutes (Boston Airport to Framingham)
- About 35 minutes (Framingham to Fenway Park)
- About 4 hours and 23 minutes (Fenway to Cooperstown)
- About 3 hours and 46 minutes (Cooperstown to Yankee Stadium)
- About 18 minutes (Yankee Stadium to Times Square)
- About 4 hours and 25 minutes (Times Square to Lincoln Memorial)
- About 3 minutes (Lincoln Memorial to Holocaust Memorial)
- About 4 hours and 39 minutes (Holocaust Memorial to PNC Park)
- About 2 hours and 3 minutes (PNC Park to Canton)
- About 4 hours and 41 minutes (Canton to South Bend)
- About 1 hour and 56 minutes (South Bend to Wrigley Field)
- About 20 minutes (Wrigley Field to Museum of Science and Industry)
- About 5 hours and 29 minutes (Chicago to Des Moines, IA)
- About 2 hours and 21 minutes (Des Moines to Omaha, NE)
- About 4 hours and 22 minutes (Omaha to North Platte, NE)
- About 4 hours and 3 minutes (North Platte to Denver, CO)
- About 1 hour and 44 minutes (Denver to Cheyenne, WY)
- About 6 hours and 53 minutes (Cheyenne to Salt Lake City, UT)
- About 5 hours and 21 minutes (Salt Lake City to Boise, ID)
- About 2 hours and 21 minutes (Boise to Baker City, OR)
- About 2 hours and 41 minutes (Baker City to Kennewick, WA)
- About 3 hours and 43 minutes (Kennewick to Seatlle, WA)
- About 2 hours and 55 minutes (Seattle to Portland, OR)
- About 5 hours and 9 minutes (Portland to Ashland, OR)
- About 4 hours and 43 minutes (Ashland to Sacramento, CA)
- About 1 hour and 58 minutes (Sacramento to HOME)